Sunday, October 8, 2023

Two Days Home in Syracuse Means Two Visits to Chubby's, the Wonder Bar, With Papi Butch, Their Bartenders, & Lottery Tickets

"Well, I think we should go to Chubby's," my father says around 6 p.m., after the Syracuse UNC slaughter.

"Again?" my mother complains. "What's the appeal of that stupid place?"

For years, I resisted. Actually, that's not true. I always went to Chubby's with my father for bonding time as, it is true, the place holds a special location deep in my father's heart. Labatt's, Budweiser, fried olives (that's what he calls mushrooms), and buying everyone drinks and $2 chances to win, if they're lucky, $20 which is added to the bar tab. This is the love of Quickdraw and barstools in upstate New York.

We won $48 last night between two tickets. We also were the only people at the bar besides the bartender. The kitchen is closed. They are trying to sell the location, Oh where, oh where will his lawnmower drive? Oh where, oh where will he go?

We returned without the $48, too, because he spent it down on buying drinks for everyone who stopped in to see if the kitchen was open or to buy a Powerball.

Waking up to blue sky and clouds this morning which is unusual for Syracuse at any time of year. The rain is supposed to return, but we'll take the bright lights while we can. Yesterday we had maple-glazed donuts and I stripped three of the dining room table chairs of nicotine tar from 30+ years on Amalfi Drive. Vinegar, dish soap, and water are miraculous and I should have done that years ago. I just assumed everyone got stuck to the black glue of their indoor chairs. Turns out, that stuff comes off.

Of course, now the chairs need to be retained...that might need need to wait for Christmas or a summer project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment