Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Thrilled to Represent My @SUSchoolofEd Training in Last Night's Young Adult Literature Class with an Evening on Dis/Ability Studies and Representation

There are many things I cherish about my time at Syracuse University, but at the top is the mission of inclusivity, Dis/Ability studies, and the commitment of challenging all the ways we construct identities with K-12 youth and the teaching for all. Excellence should always prevail and that was central to my time with the orange and blue.

Last night, I was able to share the article I wrote with influence of Beth Ferri and guidance of Kelly Chandler Olcott (my first academic publication) of reading dis/ability in YA literature. I did the class literature circle style and students chose the books they wanted to read, thinking about how young people with dis/abilities were represented in the books. We used the guiding questions from my article to analyze (with textual evidence) the success or challenges we had for the given text. 

What resonated with me most was as I predicted, the prevalence of dis/ability in all our lives and the need to counter storytelling so it is fair, individual first, and proactive on the strengths and talents of all kids in a world that works against so many. 

The night was a tremendous success, so much so that many stayed after class to share stories and propose research projects to carry the conversation forward. It was a hit - one that I wouldn't be able to carry forward without the influences and brilliance of Syracuse University educators. 

It makes me proud and I look forward to advocating such work more in my carer. Here's to all who commit themselves to truth-telling, advocacy, and the power of putting kids first, always. I'm refueled for a couple of days and I have Orange Nation to thank. SU School of Education proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment