Friday, October 13, 2023

May We All Find the Gracious Rest Karallyne Karma Cupcake Finds Every Night While We Unwind

Karal misses the activities of a busier house, when she'd often get three walks a day: one from me, one from Chitunga, and one from Edem. She's at home in Syracuse and that is because she's never alone. There's always someone to hang with and then there are the visitors, neighbor's dogs, and cousin dogs. She's in her glory. Now that it's just the two of us on Mt. Pleasant, she gets perplexed that there's not more attention given to her during all hours of the day.

I told a neighbor last night that a good name for Karal would have been Siren, as she's like the sirens in Homer's The Odyssey. She fools you with her looks and loving persona, but then you get to know her, she pulls you in, then goes into attack mode. It's not an attack really, as much as she wants constant petting and if you don't, she bites at your clothes and shoes. She means no harm, but without fingers, this is how she assures you give her undivided attention. 

I have a three bedroom house and two floors, but she's usually at my feet or around my shoulders while I work on my front porch always on the computer. She's good with this, until around 8 pm when she starts barking at me. She doesn't have to go outside, she's not hungry, and she doesn't want to play. She merely wants me to move my arse the couch and read, so she can fall asleep besides me. It usually stars with her on my lap, but she quickly moves to an array of postures where she snores, chases dream squirrels, and sometimes suckles as if she's still nursing. 

Last night's pose was rather peculiar as she jutted her legs straight out and fell backwards to the pillows on the other end of the couch. Her belly was round from dinner and I remarked, "Phew. Wish I could zonk out as quickly and comfortably as you."

This is my 4th dog on my own and I've loved them equally the same, but Karal bonded with me in a way the others didn't. Glamis was Chitunga's dog, Baby was everyone's dog, and Juliet Catherine Alana Madonna Potatohead Olivia Houdini Dennis was just like her name....weird. Karal's not an affection dog, but can give licks here and there. Instead, she simply wants undivided attention to her all the time (she's like my niece, Nikki, when she was young....all about her).

I do love it, though, as there's not much that distracts me from an obnoxious work ethic and commitment to assuring the best I can do while I have life. Karal makes me pause...appreciate...and stop...just for her (which is rather amazing). I wouldn't trade it for the world, although a 45 pound furry scarf is not what I thought I'd be wearing as a 51 year old, middle-aged fart. At least on the couch, I get my space while she zonks off to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment