Saturday, October 21, 2023

Congratulations to @WestportLibrary for Last Night's Kick-Off with Featured Guest, Neil Gaiman! Wow! What a Fantastic Evening of Storytelling Brilliance

Yes, sometimes I pinch myself for the luck I drew in this particular life, especially with collaborations, partnerships, and the stellar vision of wonderful people like Alex Giannini of Westport Library for making magic happen with a festival of authors in southern Connecticut. What an honor to be invited to pre-gaming with the invited guests and to sit in a gorgeous library to listen to the interview by Stephen Graham Jones of the one and only Neil Gaiman. Phew. It was incredible. 

I knew when I arrived and saw the signs out front, walked into the VIP entrance (um, they set me up better than I deserve), and then breaking break with brilliant writers that I need to check myself. No, I'm not an invited author, but I'm hosting a panel this afternoon and feel great about the National Writing Project's efforts with The Write Time, and carrying over the brilliance of Rebecca Marsick and Kimberly Herzog who introduced me to the incredible library in Westport, Connecticut. 

I have just enough time to eat a bagel before I head back to hear several author panels and participate in the one I get to host on writing our way home again. I can't wait. 

Neil Gaiman read a short story from his collection of 12 months inspired by responses to Twitter users and shared his October tale about a man leaping from a genie bottle to grant his wife three wishes of which she refused. She was fine. And in the end so was the genie, not needing wishes because he realized he was simply content looking in his wife's eyes. It was a clever, short piece that exemplified the mastermind writer who has worked with Terry Pratchett and grew inspiration from Stephen King.

There's much more reflection to come, but for now I have to channel good questions for wonderful writers as we present from 1 pm to 2 pm. I feel like they matched me perfectly with the panel brought my way.

Here's to Alex and the Westport Library crew; they work tirelessly, and their events always are out of this world. Nothing but admiration for them all. Simply outstanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment