Friday, October 6, 2023

Throwing Out My Pride for Dr. Shannon Kelly, English Department @FairfieldU, and the Incredible Program Hosted @PequotLibrary Last Night

As a Fairfield University faculty member, I've taken enormous pride with Pequot Library collaborations in Southport, Connecticut, and have nothing but respect for their Humanitarian commitments to the public good, community engagement, and fostering excellence for another generation. Last night, I was lucky to attend How William Became Shakespeare: Four Hundred Years of the First Folio, an exhibit on display for all to see. I was extra pleased to view a student panel, to see exceptional work, and to bear witness to Dr. Kelly's leadership in promoting equity, diversity, inclusivity, and a passion for literature within Fairfield University students. They were exceptional, and I feel as if they represented the best that we have to offer on our campus. These youthful scholars were stunning, articulate, brilliant, and thought-provoking.

Dr. Kelly and I share many of the same students, and I've heard for weeks about the Pequot exhibit and their excitement for the academic celebration. It's been on my calendar for months, and I was delighted to see the excellence they brought to our off-campus communities. 

I've known for a long time how fortunate Fairfield University is to have Dr. Kelly's intelligence on our campus, but what caught my attention for the better last night, was the natural way she chose a platform to showcase the best of student talent. They were the feature. They brought the folios of William Shakespeare to life and that is emblematic for admirable teaching. I cannot give enough finger snaps for what they achieved.

And that crowd! Go Pequot! I am so impressed so many in southern Connecticut took interest in the ol' Bard.

This morning, I'm applauding Dr. Shannon Kelly, Special Collections Librarian Cecily Dyer, the students, their Board of Trustees at Pequot Library and the vision of Charles McMahon, Adult Programming, for this special exhibit. Also, much appreciation for prize-winning historian Stephen Greenblatt for his studies, scholarship, writing, and willingness to share representation at the event. I had to leave early but his lecture on "The Winter's Tale" was amazing, I hear.

Wow. This was a phenomenal opportunity as a faculty member. 

Way to represent the 'Ville, Dr. Kelly. Go Male High School - alumni they should be proud of...Fairfield University is so fortunate to have you as a faculty member. 

No comments:

Post a Comment