Monday, October 30, 2023

Rainy Days are 'Weally Wuff' on Karallyne Karma Cupcake Who Doesn't Understand Why There Are No Long Walks and Opportunities to Sniff the Universe

I knew on Saturday night when I went to bed that I'd like spend 14 hours on my porch working on recommendations, grading, publications, and conferences, which I did successfully, besides a short stint of cooking a Louisiana sausage, peppericini, spinach pasta dish for myself and to bring to Beth, Dan, and Beth's brother who flew in to take care of the loss of their father. Karal didn't leave my shoulders, either, looking out to the rain wondering when it would be her opportunity to walk.

Instead, she road to Big-Y and then, later, to drop of dinner for Beth's family - a nice visit with her and some of our colleagues from Fairfield University.

I also cleaned out my winter closet getting scarves, gloves, and hats ready, although I still don't plan on turning the heat on until November 1st (although the temptation might come sooner). I looked out to my back patio thinking, "why didn't I winterize summer tables, plants, and rugs when it was warm?" They're drenched now, and I am not sure a warm sun will dry them before heading to storage. 

Today, I'm on campus for meetings and more submissions, then back to grading and planning for the week. My house is booked for Columbus, too, since all the hotels are sold out for NCTE in a couple of weeks. I also get Jake this week, which is a blessing in doggie-love and company while Pam and Oona are in St. Augustine, Florida warming their bones before the winter inevitability. 

The weather, though, simply makes me want long naps which I'm not good at taking. I believe it is the transitional days that are the worst, because going from 80 degrees, full moons, and zombies to a cold monsoon is simply miserable. 

Alas, the cycles are what they are and onward we must go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment