Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Well That Didn't Last Long...Two Weeks without Teaching and What Do You Know? I'm Teaching Again. Well, I'm Training 75 New Student Leader Instructors

Dr. Erica Hartwell's departing gift to me was to tell the New Student Leader consortium that she move to Seattle and couldn't do yesterday's training, but they might want to check in with Dr. Bryan Ripley Crandall to see if he is available. Well, the message was relayed to me that Dr. Hartwell said I agreed, so I did this one for her. Actually, I love discussing strategies for effective classroom and, even better, I like to simply have fun. What's a room full of 75 individuals I don't know other than a blank canvas for trying out new ideas!

We did turn-n-talks, think-pair-Chers, dry erase dialogues, walk-n-talks, jokes, kick-offs, sign-offs, and another dozen ways they might think about their classroom spaces this year. The First Year Experience course is a no-credit bearing requirement for all freshmyn and they undergraduates get paid to teach them. It was actually a recruiting tool, too, because many stayed after to talk to me about a degree in teaching (which schools desperately need). 

On the final note, I said, "Before we depart, you must also remember how important it is to sing together and to make music." I was surprised they were as agreeable to this prompt as they were, and I enjoyed their happiness. I hope they will spread it to others this upcoming year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment