Sunday, August 13, 2023

Becoming a BRAT, at Least for a Few Days: Bananas, Rice, Apple Sauce, & Toast. Cleaning Out the Intestines of Middle Age

I have blamed the spicy Bang Bang shrimp at a Monroe Indian restaurant for my stomach issues, acid reflux, and intestinal problems. Of course, that is my excuse, because most of the nonsense simply comes with middle age. There's a reason chicken wings slap the heck out the man's face on commercials. As everything is different mid-life, so our the digestive issues. No longer do I have a stomach of steal. It's more like a stomach of flames. 

So, after a few days with severe cramping and evenings with toilet insanity, I asked Dr. Planas, my nurse friend, what I should do and she recommended the BRAT. It doesn't have to last forever, but go a few days with bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast and everything should calm down. Um, okay. But online reading says the BRAT isn't healthy and recommended eggs, so I chose eggs to go with my rice and it was filling. The probiotic tea of ginger and honey is also good. 

Aging is a blast. 

I wish I could say Saturday was a joy, but I didn't trust my stomach, especially having to flee Friday's Salsa party and Thursday's jambalaya. All tasted great, but within minutes I was in pain...this after a successful physical on Tuesday. Thrilled to have to monitor even more in my fifties. 

I can attest, however, that two hours after dinner, things solidified quite a bit. That made me happy. I love a good meal and I'm a fan of many flavors, but I need to go into neutral land for a while, which is non-joyous, annoying, and disturbing. But I do what it takes (or at least I hope it'll work). I don't want to be a TUMS-popping maniac as I head to my retirement years, which are an exhausting 15 years away.

Ugh.

But we'll see how this goes. Right now, it's just boring and dull. But maybe time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment