Saturday, August 26, 2023

My New Approach to the Insanity of the Work Always Needing to Be Done (Discovered at 10 p.m. on a Friday Night & Posted Saturday Morning)

My new mantra is simple. When I finish any work for the day and simply move to resting my mind, fingers, and eyes, I'm simply yelling, "Ta-Da!," and calling it a day. This past week, I put in a lot of time to get ready for the new semester and ahead, hopefully, in my career and work. Sometimes it's like, "So you lived the last six years, right? Articulate all you did in these six years, offer your philosophy for doing this, add theory where you can, and create an appendix with proof that you did as you said you did." 

Ready. Set. Go!

Ta Da!

I put into each day what I can muster, but then there's a moment where I'm like, "Why the hell am I doing all of this?" To be honest, last night I took a break for three hours simply to put together workshops for 75 New Student Leaders who will be teaching the First Year Experience courses on campus. Thanks, Dr. Hartwell for leaving the University and giving them my name to replace you. It was actually fun putting together the workshop because I love teaching and sharing pedagogy and practices that can be helpful to others. Of course, I'm stealing from the expertise of all my National Writing Project years. 

Ta Da! 

Another item off the plate, two syllabi to go, and organizing for the first week of classes. I'll get there, but first I need to tackle the monumental task of proving all I've done since 2018. And then I brushed my teeth. Here's a photo of the tube of toothpaste and a letter from the tooth faerie proving that this was accomplished, but a cavity chart explaining why brushing my teeth is important (See Appendix A: On Flossing, Hygiene, and Dental care)

Ta Da!

Okay, I'm going at it for a few hours but taking tonight off for Joanna MacKenzie's 49th (forever) birthday. She got a taco truck...how can I resist?

But I'll be back at it Sunday morning. Trust me (unless there's a call to the beach that I can't resist)

No comments:

Post a Comment