Thursday, August 17, 2023

And This Is Definitely Worthy of a Good Sleep. Over Two Years of Reviewing, Rewriting, Revisiting, and Realigning, We Have an International Journal

I'm hosting out of town guess, but I don't want to lose sight of the fact that a special project with Dr. Jessie Early of Arizona University finally came to fruition yesterday when Writing & Pedagogy released a special, two-issue volume of it its journal. We had the pleasure of working with incredible National Writing Project writers from across the nation and to sent their reworked manuscripts to reviewers. It was a win, win celebration of the best of NWP. And I learned so much from the process. 

This was a collection due out a year ago, but because of Covid delays, it took 365 more days. The participants were amazing, the high bar for excellence sustained, and the dedication was a no-brainer. 

Had anyone told me I would be a special guest editor for an international journal, I would have said, "That's absurd."

But here we are...13 articles to outline exactly how we survived the pandemic as National Writing Project teacher-leaders. We found one another, we huddled, we did great work, and we wrote....then edited...then edited...then wrote some more...then revised...then edited...the went back to the drawing board...then rewrote some more. 

I'm definitely proud of the accomplishment and even prouder of those who took part in the endeavor. 

For those of young in higher education, let me just say that the writing processes are a lot. No. I really mean a lot. A lot, and then some. It is a tough, non-stop, excrutiating effort, but in the end we find success...like we did here.

But sleep is also good. We need sleep, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment