Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Definitely Hearing the Insect Music of Back to School (Even If It is a Few Weeks Away). The Cicadas are Going Bonkers

I always know summer is on its way with the peepers, but the cicadas close it out with their clicking wings. There's actually an uptick in crickets, too, and the noises are simply a reminder that the sunny season is on its way out. This is not as alarming to me as it is most educators, simply because my summer months are the busiest time of years, running well over 90 hours of programming and keeping the CWP business afloat. I don't breathe. I just applaud the awesome work of teachers and young people.

With that noted, I'm not ready for the work ahead, because there's too much work to be accomplished in the immediate.

Yesterday I heard from teachers and principals who are shifting their locations and new goals, and there was even activity in Canisius Hall again...new faculty moving in who haven't received the memo that the vast majority of faculty apparently work from home.

Ah, but I'm loving this August music: the quiet fluttering of butterfly wings during the day and the steady chirps of evening bug-life. They are happy. They are doing their thing. So shall the rest of us, perhaps with a little more stress. We should be thankful that we don't have to fear too many windshields, birds, porch lights, or fly swatters in our day to day...just our politicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment