Monday, August 21, 2023

And I Took One for My Blood Pressure and It Seemed to Work. Beach Therapy in Milford For the Rescue (with No Flesh-Eating Consequences)

I have to get over the stress hump, simply to take a little down-time just for me, and I was glad Oona, Leo, and Bev joined me. Of course, when I made the decision, the flesh-eating bacteria decided to invade the Sound, too, so I didn't go into the water. I have too many open wounds caused by psoriasis. I got sun and that's what I needed. I returned to lower blood pressure which was what it was all about.

But now it's Monday and back to the grind. I should have mowed my lawn this weekend, but I didn't want to ruin a day putting carbon monoxide into the air...it's bad enough California got a Hurriquake and Iowa will see temperatures in the 100s this week (not to mention Canada and Hawaii).

I did work on syllabi some this weekend as I'm teaching an Honors course called Enduring Questions: Refugees in Literature (a course I've always dreamed of one day teaching, but agonizing over what the selected texts will be). I will have 20 bushy-tailed freshman enrolled and I get to co-teach it with he extraordinary Julie Mughal (I look forward to reflecting on what it's like to co-habit a classroom together).

The kayak and paddle boards remained in the garage. I'd like to get back out on them, but I didn't want to look like a Zombie with skin falling off my face because the flesh-eating virus invaded my bloodstream. I have enough issues without contending with that.

More and more of us are returning to school in the near future so for those who already have and those still counting down to the beginning, I wish you luck. Sun, fresh air, and a beautiful view will aways be a cure. For that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment