Wednesday, January 11, 2023

When He's Not Quite Surrendering, But He's Admitting, "My Lord, I Need to Sleep. I Should Wake Up More Refreshed in the Morning" - Didn't Meet My Goals but Came Close

I have no problem being honest. Since the new year began, I've been up at six planning, reading, grading, teaching, assigning, assisting, conferencing, and reflecting. 6 a.m. I begin. 11 p.m. I end. Weekends I catch up and get a little ahead. It all ends this weekend. 

Last night, a whole new round of student work came in and I said, "Crandall, get this done before you go to bed," but then a litany of students recommendation reminders came through, due tomorrow, so I had to reevaluate and reprioritize. After three hours of doing those I thought, "Crap, my students are waiting for my feedback on tonight's work."

Well, it's already tomorrow morning and I'm up at 6 a.m. back at it. Whatever it takes. Let them get angry with me if they want. Winter-sessions are quite impossible, even if they do remind me why I love teaching and doing what I do. The irony is, as I send back yesterday's work, they're now sending tonight's work. The email is dinging at a steady beat, indeed.

TV hasn't been on. Books (besides course texts) haven't been read. And I've only eaten crackers...not even cheese. I'm on a full, 24/7 marathon in support of my graduate students, as there's no other choice: the new semester begins next week and we have to finish this course, so they get to their new ones.

I am proud of what my graduate students have accomplished. I'm prouder that I've been able to find energy to keep encouraging them, and I'm grateful this short stint is about to end.

I did surrender the work last night, but after a good sleep, I'm right back at it. Perhaps, I can tuck that white flag away.

No comments:

Post a Comment