Friday, January 20, 2023

Cheers! It's the Work We Do. We May Not Know If It's Friday or Sunday, If We're Coming or Going, But We Do It Out of the Love for the Profession

Game knows game, so when I'm invited to a great evening of research, sharing of teaching, and vision of doing better for the world, I do it. It's even better when it is on someone else's dime. And that is why last night was such a delight, especially after a day of responding to emails which simply went like this: On June 21, 2022, I sent the following to you....I've never heard back. Can you check the status of this? Because you have not responded it's caused issues with xxxx and xxxx? The issue is beyond my role at th university, but one of leadership. Please let me know where this ended up last June.

Life moves on. New students come. New interests perk up. The assumption is when you do your job, they do their job. Of course, June is a summer month and although many are working on campus and the flow continues, there are those who interpret summer months as absolute vacation, even when they are on year-round contacts. Fascinating actually. But what can you do? We can only wait.

This is why an invitation to dinner - three course meal and a bottle of wine - was so appealing. Why not eat well after a day of chaos? It was an educative dinner and I was informed about interesting scholarship, possibilities, and what it's like to have leaders who respond to email. 

And with that, it's Friday. I need to be out of the house by 7 a.m. for round two. A breakfast. And I don't do mornings. 

Saturday never looked so good. I just want to stare at my ceiling and watch basketball on the t.v.


No comments:

Post a Comment