Saturday, January 21, 2023

And After a 14-Hour Friday (Phew), I'm Shouting Out to Dr. Nicole O'Brien, My Marathon-Running, Pure Joy Colleague Who I Simply Adore

I was out of my house by 7:30 a.m. yesterday and came home mid-day to take care of Karal, only to return to a mission of a 9 p.m. return. This is the work and this is the grind. It is all made easier, of course, when I think about the great colleagues that have helped me to be a better man, including Dr. Nicole O'Brien.

I'm celebrating her decision to leave the University in pursuit of Equity, Diversity, Inclusivity, and Justice. She's following her brilliance, her knowledge, and her heart to give back to the world in the best way she knows how: listening and guiding others. She's a gem and she'll be greatly missed after this year. 

With that noted, I still have several months still left to tip bourbon glasses and to think of better ways to better embrace humanity. 

It was a whirlwind of a day, full of another round of educational opportunities, collegiality, possibility, and integrity. Seeing her in the same spaces made me realize how much I cherish the individual she is.

Now it is Saturday and I really need a restful weekend, one with low-brain power, fresh air, happiness, and reflection. It's never fun realizing that the greatness around you is choosing different pathways for their brilliance. It makes 100% sense, but it is still difficult to process, especially when a year from now the way she rekindles hope in the world won't come from monthly meetings, office chats, phone calls, 5Ks, and processing. I will have to find another way to utilize such excellence. 

And I will. She's always been a hero to me, and like the other heroes that are departing, I respect their finesse, grace, and individual philosophies. I am, because we are. I love this one and applaud her ability to find next steps for herself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment