Wednesday, January 25, 2023

"I Personally Like Teachers Who Have Hands, Crandall." "Um, I Like Teachers Who Know How To Draw Better Than You." Well, Okay, Then

This is the second time I was asked to teach the introduction to education course for individuals curious about a career in education. We doubled enrollment in one year and needed to add a 2nd section, and I'm glad they think I can be an attraction for what a career might look like (best decision I ever made, but it remains insane). We read Matt de la Peña's Last Stop on Market Street, and I prompted kids to write about beautiful learning experiences, and not so beautiful ones. I wanted them to help me understand what they think makes a good teacher and what they do not care to have leading them.

It's always enlightening.

I am always amazed how rare it is that students have an educator who has reached out to them, assisted them, and changed their ways of understanding the world. More often not, I hear stories of what not to do and what is abysmal (ironically coming to a point where many share particular insidious experiences). 

The introduction course is tough, because you never know what direction to go - there are so many, and students don't realize the complexities of every school and learning environment, especially those coming from private schools with rigorous standards and economic privilege. We want to prepare them for a variety of schools and possibilities, but also to start putting on a teacher hat....that of an adult.

That takes time...and care...and patience....especially when you're 19 and 20.

I learned today that my students preferred educators who can draw hands and had better artistry skills. Hey, I do what I can do.

I suppose this leads me to say how important it is to get kids into schools as soon as possible so they can see the real-world in action as quickly as possible, especially since the worlds they may know are likely to be different from the every day working of K-12 education. All the joys, that is.

And with that, I'm off for another long day on campus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment