Thursday, January 12, 2023

And This is Where I Am in the Universe, As it Mixes with Higher Education, Morality, Purpose, Integrity, and all Else. I Just Don't Know.

If I had a few seconds to make sense of it all, I would try to make sense of it. Yet, I don't think attempting to make sense of any thing will do any good, because there's no sense in any of it. And this is where I am on a Thursday.

I was up until midnight grading, but didn't finish. I needed to get rest so I can be strong for the last night of classes. I've been up grading since 6 a.m. Meanwhile, I have meetings that are pointless, especially when people come to me to figure out what is happening when they made all the decisions that have caused all the chaos, and now they're wondering why all this is happening? Um, I told you this would likely happen and advised against it. Well, okay. I have no answers, because you are the answer you're looking for...you did this. 

I give up. 

No, I don't. 

I invest in kids and teachers. Period. I believe in the National Writing Project and what research in literacy has shown me again and again. I believe in hard work, driven purpose, joy, and expertise. I believe in listening, doing for others, and the power of community.

Institutions of Higher Education. Well? You are at the crossroads of whether or not you stand for integrity, knowledge, values, and purpose, or simply profit with a facade of truth. I can't fix that if the power that be believe in one thing when the rest of us believe in the other. What can we do but wait?

I have papers to grade. I have courses to plan. I have school districts and young people to support. I don't have time for the incompetency that comes from hubris, greed, and short-sighted, ill-informed decision making. 

Cause and effect. You learn this in almost every class as a student. 

You caused this. Rest in its effect. 

Systems, 101.

I have work to do. I have to teach. I have schools to visit. I have tomorrow's leaders to build. I have joy to restore.

No comments:

Post a Comment