Monday, January 16, 2023

Okay, Magical Monday. Spent Yesterday in Bookstores with Friends. We'll See What the Future Holds. I'm Just Riding the Waves

We stopped by Possible Futures  in New Haven to pick up copies of Kwame Alexander's The Door of No Return. I can't wait to get this book in the hands of teachers and readers in 2023, especially participants in Ubuntu Academy who are attending Central High School this year. Mr. King and I have great ideas.

Support local book stores and cherish the texts they sell. Community engagement is everything.

I'm also thankful for Dave and Kris who had me for a curry rice dinner of lamb, collards, potatoes, and  sauces. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday evening, although I'm not used to eating lamb (albeit delicious). We got into the Brough Brothers Bourbon, too. It was a way to thank them. 

Today, however, I will be spending time prepping for the semester ahead (Dave and Kris are heading to college visits with Val and Isaiah in New Orleans). I have several meetings with numerous colleagues on work ahead. 

Hard to believe we are entering another semester, 2023, with all the life that it has to offer. Also hard to believe I've been doing such work since 1995 (still partying with Prince like it's 1999).

I love that Possible Futures chooses to display local artists to accompany the great work of the community, all while celebrating authors that are relevant to the readers in most schools and neighborhoods. 

Here's to Martin Luther King, Jr....what he stands for...and the fight for democracy and possibility. I have my eyesight on tomorrow, as does this bookstore in New Haven. Human togetherness. That's what matters most.

I just hope I have the energy to keep up (but that's been the story since I first chose education as a career). 

No comments:

Post a Comment