Thursday, January 5, 2023

Karal is Branching Out at the Crossroads of American Milkbone Biscuits and the Cheeseburger-Flavored Cookies from South Korea

I went to campus to teach last night's online graduate course (typed curse accidentally...it can be viewed this way, but I love it. While there, the baron territory that it is, I was visited by a new faculty member in Philosophy, who brought me a Christmas present...

... "well, it's for Karal, and not you,"

which was burger and cheese flavored from S. Korea....actually, I lie. They're from S. Korea, and the treats were from Trader Joe's, but I can embellish, can't I?

The dog was more than thrilled, although one of them created stinky farts rather quickly. Cheeseburgers in any form cause smelly gas...

...but she was thankful. She loved them, and I have to say, a random, unexpected gift was truly delightful, especially because the campus was totally empty. I truly appreciated the gesture.

"I just stopped by to check out my classrooms for the spring," I was told.

I love the vibe of anyone checking out space before they set out to teach. I shall be learning more S. Korean philosophy in the very near future, as this is new faculty I can totally groove with. They begin this month and I've heard nothing but great things from the brilliant minds of Philosophy and how much they love this hire. Win/Win.

I mean, cookies? for Karal? This is beautiful. Good to expand the love of Karal beyond the gifting of Dr. Beth Boquet.

One more night this week, and then three more classes. As I've been telling my graduate students, "We got this." 

We do, because we have no other choice. This fast-paced winter-session is total proof that the one thing I love above all else is teaching and creating relationships with student. I would love to talk about the work with peers, but I realize most are at home dreading the return to University life. For me, however, I still fin absolute joy via instruction. I have 19 students and I love the work they're proposing to do this Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment