Friday, January 13, 2023

Lares Compitales - Household God of the Crossroads...Composing at the Crossroads. I Think I Have a Summer Theme

I started Compital Crandall with the idea of branching veins in a leaf that transports water, and learned of Lares Compitales, Roman household God of those moments in life where decisions must come - the intersections for choice and what I always argue, possibility.

Trying to tap my inner-optimist, where two roads diverse in the woods and I choose the one that is more hopeful. I like this as a theme for summer programs, although I will need to think more about where I'm going with this, as we are in year 10 of our National Writing Project's site summer redesign, and I'm at the crossroads of where she the work go next. 

Kids are always at crossroads, and so are their teachers. 

So, I say, let's explore this some in writing, reading, conversation, and discussion. That is the summer way of life.

Last night, I finished the last class of the winter-session and, to be honest, it wiped me out in a good way. It's funny that a few of the students are looking at motivation, as that is something I've needed for myself and to coach many of the students. It was not an easy sell, but I think we achieved what we set out for.

I'm always thinking about the moments where we are and what path we may take: one of cynicism and despair, and the other with inquiry and open-mindedness. It seems such bifurcation might be extended to one heck of a summer of writing.

And with that...I welcome you, Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment