Thursday, January 19, 2023

Shouting Out to Harding High School's Lady Presidents Basketball Team and Wishing Them the Best Year with Ubuntu On Their Side

When I got home at 4 yesterday I collapsed. I went to rest my eyes and woke up two hours later. That never happens. My brain and body were done...That Winter-session, followed by two days of classes did me in. So when guilt kicked in I decided it was time to ready the CWP website I manage to get it ready for 2023 summer programs. Of course, I hit the wrong button at the wrong time (it's coding and I have to be careful) and suddenly I lost the structure of what the entire website has been there for years. Long story short, I spent the evening geeking out in code-guesses restoring what I ruined. For the most part, I figured it out.

Then I checked social media platforms before I called it quits for the day. That's when I saw English Teacher, Ms. Morelli/ COACH Morelli, posted a few photos of her first year leading the women's basketball team at Harding High School. Go! Presidents! Quickly she responded, "Did you see our theme this year?" and I didn't. It was on the yellow t-shirt of the young woman in the right hand corner. 

UBUNTU.

My heart stopped. 

For years, Meagan and her teammates worked with Ubuntu Academy in the summers and, as the only English major (with one elementary major also on the team), they brought the work of Ubuntu back to winning seasons at Fairfield University. For years, Coach Sydney Johnson and the men's team did the same. I'm feeling old knowing that Meagan is already teaching and coaching for Bridgeport Public Schools, and it makes me feel great to see she's carrying her coursework and summer volunteerism with her at one of my favorite schools in Connecticut. 

Go Harding! Go Harding! Go Harding!

Last Spring, I asked Meagan to introduce teachers and Ibi Zoboi at the Writing Our Lives & Finding Our Stars conference, a culminating event for the Cultivated Women's Collective. 125 girls came to campus to share their writing with after school writing clubs and to learn from multiple sessions hosted by professional women. Her leadership has always been there, but that photo of her coaching (up top)...now that is absolute joy. She's chosen a mission and life to work with youth, and I love seeing her invest so much strength with her team. The leadership potential was always with her; not it's allowed to bloom.

The Ubuntu t-shirts, well, that brings butterflies to my stomach, I suppose.

Momentarily, her posts helped me to forget about the exhaustion and frustration of the work we all have to do. Because of her, I'm energized me for another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment