Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Vroom! Vroom! And Another Semester Kicks Off Today. Found This Toy While Walking Karal and, Well, You Know Me and Toys

There will be no reference to presidents, affairs, or getaway cars in this post. Not today, anyway.

Instead, I will focus on two things: the joys of play and childhood, and the happiness that comes with creativity. I'm not sure if this comes from a McDonald's Happy Meal or a more elaborate Super Mario apparatus, but it was clean, funny, and I figured I could repurpose it to make somebody else smile. Toys are good things, as long as a child doesn't choke on them. Adults love them, too. They junk, of course, but humorous and imaginative. A great distraction for all to come (predictions are bleak).

Am I ready for the chaos of another semester? Sort of. 

Have I prepped and put together all I can? Almost.

Do I still love teaching passionately? Yes.

Have the times changed and are students different? Indeed.

Yet, I have a decade of teaching at the Brown School and my intellectual journey taken before and after. I remain a lucky son of a Butch, and know that my experiences are unique and my opportunities have been plentiful. I've worked with the best: from Binghamton to LWP to the mentorship from students and teachers while teaching. I also now have the National Writing Project family. Too many have invested in me, so it is much easier to invest in others.

So, I'm good. Lucky. I happened up fortune many times. I count my blessings and keep an open mind on all still to come. 

The are numerous chapters to read and even more to live and write. They may be catastrophic, dooms-day oriented, and hard to believe, but such is the wackiness of the world.

So, Vroom! Vroom! Here we go again. And I'm off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment