Saturday, January 28, 2023

Delivered to Another School of Writers - This Time to Girls in the Cultivated Women's Collective and Ubuntu Academy. The Smiles Say It All

Mr. William King sent me a round of photos yesterday as he handed out the 2022 Anthology of POW! Power of Words, and it's too easy to make my head leap out of my chest, especially since the Ubuntu writers of July/August were an extra-special group and we had a miraculous two weeks of growing together. The Mr. King, Ms. Baldizon and Ms. Hernandez were a force to be reckon with. Their investment in these kids is simply remarkable. 

The Ubuntu crew here, 9 of the 36, attend Central High School and were the most sponge-like crew we've had to date, fascinated by podcasting, narrative, and poetry. They were a community of writers even before they arrived and had absolute joy working with their summer teachers and instructors. It makes me so happy to see books delivered to their hands. 

Friday ended with a couple of fantastic meanings, a wonderful dinner hosted by Dr. Rona Preli, and a little quality time getting to hold, feed, and entertain Patrick and Stephanie's love-nugget, Ethan. That kid is a total ball of happiness, curiosity, and joy. It made for a great end to a pretty hectic two weeks. I don't know how Rona found time to cook an amazing dinner, including French onion soup, but I am appreciative. 

Now for Saturday. The dead mice smell is still present, but not as strong, and I think Karal (she's in my lap right now wanting attention) looks forward to longer walks and more games. 

Edem told me that the mice also at three pairs of shoes in his room and a duffle bag. Um...Okay? That's just weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment