Saturday, January 7, 2023

Friday Nights Have Branched Out to New Responsibilities and Joy...Merma and Oliwia for Bottle Changes, Diaper Changes, and Sitting Still

It's been a minute since I've seen baby Oliwia, as I was sick, missed the holidays, then Kaitlyn was sick. Ah, but Dominik & their family are out and about again and the one thing that makes me sit still sat in my arms and slept for a while before she woke up hungry and La-La-Merma Pam performed the proceedings.

It's also been a while for Karal to be out the house as Jake was also ready to have company now that his leg is healing (post surgery). She was as spastic as always and I'm learning more that the terrier genes are just wound-up and enthusiastic around people. She saves the calm, restful dog-mode for Mount Pleasant.

Also thrilled to report that 278 pounds of POW! Power of Words,  the 9th edition of the literacy labs arrived to my office ready to be distributed to the Cultivated Women's Collective and young writers who participated in our summer programs. When I brought a copy to Marie-Laurie Kugal, the grant officer who helped me to secure anCornelia T. Bailey donation, I had to give her a high five. In six months, I found 8 teachers from 8 schools and over 100 middle and secondary girl writers, ran after-school clubs, hosted a Writing Our Lives conference, and now have been able to publish their hard work. I'm sure I will be writing about this more.

Today, I need to nerd out and grade, as my 19 graduate students are getting anxious for the heavy lift this week and need feedback on their annotations, thinking, and initial drafts of first steps. I committed myself to this work, and I'm loving every second, even if it is a lot in a very short time. 

But last night, cheeseburger pizza from Paradise, and the calm of a baby foreshadowed that weekends are likely to be different from now on, which I welcome.

Here's to the weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment