Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Oh, Dog. How I Envy Thee. Thy Royalty, Who Needs Me To Pee. Here You Lie in Total Serenity. Wish I Could Trade Some of My Complexity

The life of the academy. Up at 7 and grading, planning, editing, revising, resubmitting, and meeting. Take a break at 11 and walk the dog. Note: she gets me up at 7, eats, pees, then falls asleep on the couch until I walk her. 

11 to 12, I get fresh air and she walks, usually does #2, too. 

I return for lunch, and put together class which is from 4:55 to 6:55, only to sit in I-95 traffic both ways. 11 miles can take 120 minutes. Today, I took back roads and decided to drop another batch of books off at a school. 

Evening class was great, although graduate students are good at finding errors on syllabi...like the fact that I missed weeks, and then repeated dates (because, well, something has to go...why not the calendar?)(easy to fix). 

Today, I have a faculty search all day, and a turbo class in the middle of it all. I must get home at some point to check on the dog and let her out. It will be a long, long day. Another 14-hour one (which is never as easy as those spent at home). 

Meanwhile, I come home last night to fix errors I made and to plan for the turbo class tomorrow, all while arranging the schedule around the faculty visit. 

Then, I look over at the dog, sleeping soundly on the couch. The dead mice in the walls, the odor, and the fact that her human seems to ignore her, must be baffling.  But she sure can rest and put my mind at ease. All this mortgage paid so she can full run of the house while I'm working for a paycheck. All so she can sleep.

This is all to say, "I'm thankful for her." Nothing makes me happier than when I can sit next to her, or walk beaches with her, or drive to new places with her at the helm (always at the helm). 

And her toys are everywhere. It's a daily ritual to pick them up so she can spread them around the house while I'm gone. I guess that must be fun.

10 p.m. she looks at me as if, "You going to bed yet?" She loves this, because although she starts at my feet, by morning, I will be hanging on the edge for dear life. 

This is her world, and I know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment