Thursday, December 7, 2023

Tied a Ribbon on a Great Semester with 20 Brilliant Honors Students Who The Great Whatever Sent My Way at Exactly the Right Time

I found a space that I actually enjoy, working with Honors students on campus who, for the first time, remind me of the quality of public school students I taught in Louisville, Kentucky. They are engaged, smart, interested, hard-working, passionate, and eager. Over the years, I've forgotten what looks and feels like - yes, I get it from working with immigrant and refugee youth in off-campus spaces, but haven't had that zest in my collegiate teaching until now. 

Yesterday, our last class, we spent time listening to the music of Emmanuel Jal, and discussing scars and the graphic novel Welcome to the New World. I made another cake, of course, and then the students had an hour to work on their final paper. It was very Brown School and it felt comfortable again. Wonderful kids working on incredible projects, enthusiastic to share what they were doing and genuinely sparked by my suggestions and appreciation. 

I walked by a table and saw a stack of books that were taught - they are freshmen and read more in a semester than most of my grad students will read. 

They are the type of kids who filled out the University's evaluation form and then stay after class to talk about your teaching, wanting to ask questions, and get permission to "write a letter, if that's okay, because I have more to say." 

Phew.

And I left to meet with a colleague who I adore and who has been my #1 since he arrived. He is leaving the University this January. I thought we were meeting so I could get my hand slapped for being honest at a meeting yesterday. Nope. He found joy and possibilities, and I'm forever happy for him and grateful for the service he's given me and others. I love / to believe / in hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment