Thursday, December 14, 2023

Here's the Truth. You Should Never Be Re-Watching Ted Lasso on Apple When You Are Looking for Solutions for Your Own Great Whatever

I received an email yesterday from a person I never taught, but who bonded with me for life after college, next steps, and hope for a better world. He was a division III football player who grew up in Bridgeport, and was actively working to try for a shot for an NFL team. He was huge: muscular, dedicated, and driven. I'm not sure how we connected, other than the fact that he talked highly of an English teacher he had (who changed his life) and she happened to be a National Writing Project instructor. The kid and I bonded and I haven' heard from him in over a decade.

Then, last night, I received an email from him thanking me for my optimism, spirit, drive, and passionate hope for the world. He didn't make it to NFL drafts, and needed to redirect his life as a result, but he's always thought about me and my undying faith, these are his words, in humanity. 

I received these words as my dog Karal was chewing a turtle present I got her at the grocery because the creatures were on sale. She likes squeakers, so I thought why not giver her an evening treat of tearing out the brains of a turtle. Alas, that is harsh, because one of my favorite students of all time - perhaps forever - is turtle, who has reconnected to Frog in his 40s and who...well, I adore and I hear. The Pond at the Brown School was really amazing. 

And so, I'm re-watching Ted Lasso (the fucker Chitunga has finished the series because he couldn't wait for Christmas - a gift of Apple TV for a year) and every episode, the 2nd round, is even better than the first. 

Karal is destroying Turtle, which is a shame, and for many of us doing what we've been doing, we've been destroyed by our employers. I can't help but think of the mission of Ted Lasso, the beauty of the Brown School in Kentucky, and my life mission of doing all I can to make the universe a better place. 

I'm heading into today with this in mind. Story. Integrity. Truth. Honesty. and what it means to be be good. I will choose good every time. It's that easy.

And I learned that from Turtle. I learned that from the amazing experiences of my life. I suppose, the vast majority live fake, shallow lives with superficial accomplishments. That is not the journey I'm on. I'm on the 2nd half and I see through the foolishness. Ted Lasso --- well, there's a story there. I have faith in it. It's the universal narrative of how some of the ugly people choose to work, but how the better people operate to in opposition with happiness, humor, faith, and countering their hypocrisy with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment