Wednesday, December 6, 2023

It is as Nohea, a Student from the Hawaiian Islands Announced in Class....YOLO, You Only Live Once, So I Gave in to a New Experience. Tree Lighting Ceremony

I always run my last class as a cake-filled, writing workshop, so students have two hours to do final evaluations, and to get one-on-one support for their final projects. The work is due, so why not coach/mentor/guide them to their personal excellence. Several students expressed last week that they'd love to have our final night at the tree-lighting ceremony on campus, with Santa, prayer, the holiday choir, and the lighting of the tree. I agreed it could be a nice compromise if the first hour was spent completely productive. 

Radio silence. They all got to work and I had gift wrapped individual books for each students (John said I seemed to be a pro at wrapping, which I'm not), so as they ate cake and worked, I held conferences in the hall. After 75-minutes, I said, "I believe you have a ceremony to share with me," and we headed to join the campus for hot cocoa, winter hats, and a tradition I've never experienced before. 

The tree was lit and we prayed together for a better world.

I was blessed with a cohort of beautiful students this semester and though bumps in the road are many, we still finished 14 weeks of young adult literature excellence. 

And I grew as a human being watching the ceremony with my students and seeing the campus tree aglow with their reasons, purposes, visions, and hope. 

It was a highlight of my semester, and evidence of what is possible with teaching, research, and high standards for all.

For that, I am thankful. I wish I captured all the students (we even had parents drive in and join the class - teachers in Westchester, NY, and I was delighted to have them, too). 

Let there be light. Let there be insight for learners of tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment