Friday, December 8, 2023

Thankful to the Great Whatever for Friends Who are Spiritual, There for You, Good Listeners, and Sad They Didn't Have the Kind with the Maple Glaze

I had work done on the Hulk and needed a ride to work, but they said they could get the work done in two hours so opted to stay in Subaru's new work station. I told Leo I didn't need a ride and I was likely to walk to Big Y in search of an apple fritter. He texted back, "Bev gave me permission for a donut and coffee, so I'm coming." He picked me up and when Big Y was without good donuts he immediately said, "Dunkn' Donuts it shall be." 

We arrived, got coffee, and like two old men, kvetch'd about life, work, getting old, and God. Yes, God. That's why I love him: his humor, his faith, his believe in good to all people, and his undying trust in a better world. He was phenomenal at listening, too....so much so that I teared up for just being able to talk about the craziness of it all. He heard. And he spoke. And I listened. 

Faith transcends institutions, political parties, experiences, and hope. It's a feeling, and you simply need good people to keep you good. 

And the donuts and coffee were great. Yes, I allowed sugar in cream in my coffee, too. Definitely a highlight of the semester and I thank God for good friends, although I'm more inclined to invest my prayer onto The Great Whatever. 

All life is suffering. The Buddhists help us to see it. To look out for others in need is a special gift that many of the most pious don't even have (in their self perception and words, perhaps, but with no action). 

Not Leo. I'm thankful for a good friend. Always. He's always asking the bigger questions and quite content that life is about mistakes and learning...but trusting in love...goodness...and the fellowship of human kind. I love him for that. It's been a compital year where two roads diverge in a woods and most travel the other road. It's easy for me. I trust the road Leo's on. In order to trust Good again, you simply need to surround yourself with good people.

Amen.

We'll find that donut...with the maple glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment