Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Celebrating the Brilliant Minds in Young Adult Literature and Readily Admitting, I'll Hate Seeing This Particular Course Come to an End

It's a ritual...the last night of my courses becomes a workshop, as I need to be available for a 1,001 questions about final projects. This particular cohort, for the most part, have been exceptionally advanced in their thinking and strong with their ideas...many of them finance and accounting majors who read excessively...they simply didn't know that YA Literature was a thing. 

Well, duh.

One student even conducted an interview for The Write Time, but that is another post. Amazing.

Seriously, at this time of year it is hard to find any energy left to invest more in students, but the end-of-the-semester Kentucky cake is always a highlight. I bake, and like many doctoral seminars I attended where faculty bought cakes to share, I simply cut into a homemade cake and share my recipe.

TONIGHT. WE WORK TOWARDS YOUR SUCCESS. 

Actually, a crew of students noted that tonight is the annual tree-lighting ceremony with prayers, chorus, hot cocoa, and cheer and wondered if we might call class short to attend. Funny they recommended this. Because I actually have gift-wrap YA novels for each of the students because, Wola! I had another box of books delivered over the weekend. After I wrapped them, another box came.

This is all to say that I believe YA Literature is the perfect course for me to teach. I simply love every second of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment