Saturday, December 16, 2023

Planting New Goals Ahead...Trying to Wrap Up a Semester and a Wonderful Student Gifted me Gabriella, a House Plant, for the Mentorship All Semester

I'm not used to gifts. I'm used to, "Dr. Crandall, I don't understand why I got a C in your class when I turned in most of my work, but late, and yes I missed 4 classes, and I feel I deserve an A" emails. It's rare to have a note, a house plant, and kindness awaiting you. It's not about any accolade really, but I can attest (like most educators) the emails from kids, administrators, and parents complaining are much more common.

And you get an A, and you get an A, and give your Grandmother an A. 

I'm fair and flexible, upfront and honest, and as supportive as a human being. Often now, at the collegiate level, you get 9th and 10th grade shenanigans. Blood flows through my veins and I breathe oxygen, so I deserve an A because I'm enrolled in a college class. 

Note, however: it is rare, maybe 10% who act this way, but they exist. 

More uncommon is a houseplant. I love it. It's already moved from my house to my home, because house plants like the sun on Mt. Pleasant. I feel like Grandma Vera's dining room.

Hello, Gabriella. If it is was up to me, it would be you, the birds, the animals, the frogs, the butterflies, and the gardens. I say less humans and more other species who keep the flow of life moving. 

Guns are now the #1 reason in this country for the death of children. I am shaking my head. When I used to hike with kids in Beargrass Creek, I used to tell the kids the most horrific animals on the planet are in these woods. They'd cling together and ask, "What are they? Will they get us?" I'd say, "Nope. It's us. Humans destroy what life could really be about. Just be cautious."

I still don't have my Wonka hate, but I have my Wonka moments. Role model for life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment