Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Weekends with Bernie. A Million and One Thanks to Justin Wooley and his Pooch for Staying at Mt. Pleasant and Keeping the Fort Down (Karal Exhausted)

It's hard not to think of the animals at home while traveling, but I try my best to keep it out of my mind. I was most worried for Justin this past extended weekend, because (a) I didn't know how Karal would do with such a long departure, (b) she's spastic with other people, and (c) Justin and Juliet brought Bernie for the weekend, too. 

He sent me the photo to the right and said on night one, "They've exhausted one another." He saved the rest of the updates for when I returned because he didn't want me to think of home while away. I'm glad to report a positive report card.

  • Karal pooped daily at mile 2.5 on their walk.
  • Karal loved the sleep routine, but wondered why that little dog slept in a cage. She did as I predicted she'd do....slept by their feet and curled into them overnight. 
  • The dogs wrestled non-stop and entertained each other. They also grew tired from all the play.
  • Karal is awesome on the leash. But training with her for a mini-marathon didn't work out, because when she runs, she loses her sense of direction.
  • No problems eating, but she did wait by the window and door each night before coming upstairs to bed. The guess was she was waiting for me to return.
  • When Bernie returned to Juliet's parents yesterday, Karal kept running up to the room looking for her friend who slept in a cage.
  • The play videos were wild and joyful. Bernie definitely kept Karal going.
And when I return, I got the spastic treatment others get when they come into my house, "Oh, my God! You're alive. Alive! I'm never going to leave your side and I need you to love me as much as you can from now on." It took a while to settle her down.

I'm glad to be home, too, but now feel bad that Bernie has departed. It's always great when dogs tire one another out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment