Saturday, June 17, 2023

Almost Had a SudyRip Moment of Flipping Five Feet in the Air While Badminton Rackets Laid Stunned and the Shuttlecock (Oversized as it Was) Fell to the Ground.

The only problem is we weren't playing badminton. Instead, I finished grading Capstone projects and to celebrate, I got Paradise Pizza and brought it to Pam's and Oona's. After we ate, I let Karal run behind Pam's condo and she said, "You're crazy to trust her like that." It's the zoomies. She needs to get the energy out of her. Then Pam laughed as Karal sprinted across the green grass and lightening speed running close to me to see if I can catcher her.

News flash: there's no way I could catch her. 

On one of her cycles at a hundred miles an hour, Karal must have miscalculated how close she was (maybe she was showing off and looking and Pam) and she barreled right into my shin. Unlike the time Chipper did the same with my mother and flipped her in the air to the slow-motion glee of my sister, brother-in-law and me, I was a wall, and Karal flipped back. Ouch. That hurt.

And I'm sure throughout to day my shin will morph to look even more like Sue Crandall's legs. It's inevitable. Every night this week, at the direction of social media and wonderful storytelling, I've watched people tell their adopted strays their forever home stories. The task is to tell the story in a serious way so the dog really listens. Now, Karal has become addicted to her adoption story and every night she lays her head on this stool growling, hoping I'll move to the couch and tell the story again

The trick's been on her however, as I've change the story into a musical, and I sing to her about how adoptable she was, and how four families took her home and thought, "No friggin' way," and brought her back to the Pet Rescue. But then this fool, about to be empty-nesting, decided he needed a Covid dog and he could tame the spastics, wild, in-her-own-head-always canine. I've accomplished a lot in 3 years, but the stories continue, including last night's collision of her spastic sprints. Of course, she doesn't like to be anywhere when I'm not in her sight, so that works to my advantage. She may get curious about something, but she's always loyal to come right back to my side. This is the first dog that has been like that, as the others thought running away and rolling in dead shit was absolutely hilarious. 

Nope. Karal's my shadow, and now the reason for today's bruises and scabs.

Happy Saturday, folks. Graduation parties today and that means good food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment