Thursday, June 8, 2023

Phew! The Conveyor Belt of One-on-One Conferencing. That Was a Productive 5 Hours, But It Only Seemed Like 10 Minutes.

When you teach a capstone, 99% of it is coaching, guiding, helping, questioning, listening, and encouraging. Five weeks of class, two nights a week, four hours a night is rather exhausting, but I've figured out asynchronous ways to make it digestible, useful, and student-centered. Of course, as we get towards the finale, every student needs personal time to discuss where they are and what they still need. Ah, channeling high school portfolio and culminating project days. 

I began at 3 pm and ended at 8:30, back-to-back, one- on-one conferences with my graduate students and I never even had a chance to see who was coming next when they were already in the Zoom where it happens. After I ended, I was like, "Whoa. How is it this late already?"

It kept me indoors, too, which is a blessing. It's nasty out there...they say 30 minutes of inhalation of this stuff is like smoking a pack of cigarettes. I believe it. I slept with my windows open two nights ago and woke up at 3 am coughing like a fiend. 

Now, I await the work to come in...it will trickle in slowly then pour in next week. The good news is I designed the Capstone so sections were completed for each class. Now it all needs to be put together in the final package and we celebrate it with one another. 

I lost last weekend, so knowing I have Thursday (today) with only two more conferences and a doctor's appointment makes me feel elated beyond belief. I am looking forward to less of the go...go...go...and more of the yo...yo....yo, Bryan. Time for HIS projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment