Friday, June 23, 2023

It's the Great Whatever, Always. I'm Always Reading the Universe for Story, Meaning, Purpose, and Next Steps. Last Night Was Special

Every kid is expected, at some point in their life, to write about a role model, an inspiration, a person who changed their life. It's college essay 101, actually, and I suppose I have many people I can write about (and have written about). Last night, Tanya Baker, William King, Jessica Baldizon, and I had the privilege of interviewing one of my role models....one I met through words in 2008 when I read a book about her, and one I've followed fiendishly for inspiration and purpose in my own work. 

Long story short, she published two books in a year, both geared for YA readers and agreed to be on The Write Time. I'm not revealing who this is yet, because the show comes out later this month. I can say, however, that the author is an inspiration to all of us who recorded the show. We didn't expect the down-to-earth, sincere, and totally gracious individual who shies away from public speaking but was willing to do the show. And I don't think we've ever heard from an author who lives her life through heart, meaning, and absolute humanity. We were simply honored to record. 

While Will and Jessica were conducting the interview, I received news about a special, two issues journal I've been editing the past two years. It's almost ready to be public. I also learned that Pam's step-mother passed away, which was a blessing because the sickness came fast and the suffering was tremendous. Of course, I'm thinking ahead to Lossine's wedding and meeting Malia Celine, and I'm overwhelmed with coincidences of this life thing. 

It was a rather rotten day until signing on to ZOOM at 7 p.m. and then everything went POOF and life's purpose was reborn. I've been teaching her story since 2009 and the fact that she released two books and was on the show, well....I'm simply feeling grateful....not only for me, but the National Writing Project audience who will receive her wisdom. 

We all have so much more work to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment