Wednesday, June 7, 2023

A Photo to Better Capture the True Crandall Essence. Thank You, @FairfieldU for Sending Me This Brilliant Moment From the 2023 Commencement

I was talking to Dr. Mark Ligas, Vice President for Undergraduate Excellence, yesterday, explaining how it is very unusual and difficult for me to follow another's script. I did m best and stuck to script to honor the incredible Geoffrey Canada. I was a very good boy and retained my contained my inner-Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, and Pee-Wee Herman tendency. I kept the true Crandall for behind-the- scene images, including the one captured by the Fairfield University photographer.

I love that my fellow mentor from SEHD, well, then GSEAP, Dr. Siegel, partook in the selfie, even if she then let me know, "Crandall, I'm rooting for you. I know you can keep it together."

For anyone has ever known me, Squirrel, Squirrel!" is highly pertinent. I have always told parents, students, and colleagues that I only let out 1/1000th of what goes through my brain in a given second. I'm trapped in a body that is intellectual, yet highly creative, and my mind is always in search of a storyline, humor, and way to capture an audience effectively.

I was well-behaved, and I give absolute KUDOS to those who wrote the speech I delivered.

It was an honor to be on stage as the graduating class of 2023 received their doctorates and Masters degrees. I can sometimes improvise at the Mic and strayfrom the script, but with tremendous respect for the campus, Dr. Siegel, and Geoffrey Canada, I practices hard at being a good boy. In fact, once I entered the indoor arena, I inhaled and became Mr. Introductory who was invited to introduce a keynote.

Canada was brilliant.

Once again, congratulations to all who finished their advance degree and for those involved in making a very special day possible  The photo above, however, captures the excitement, honor, and community-focused faces of some of those blessed to be on stage that day.

Here's to the work and the vision of Geoffrey Canada, who has inspired me for most of my career and who tolerated one-on-one gathering time with me before and during the commencement. I am a better man because of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment