Sunday, March 26, 2023

Was Looking for Me, Age 27, to Send to Chitunga, Age 27, and Dove Into My Brown School Boxes...This from 1999. 2nd Year of Full-Time Teaching

It was an interesting Saturday. A student from the class of 2006 reached out to work through her mid-30s, and wanted to touch base with people from her past. I've been nostalgic all week because it's always hard to put myself into the shoes of yesteryear, and I've been trying to think about who I was as a 27 year old. I remember we were partying like it was 1999, because it was 1999. I had a student group that was challenging, but also blossomed a year later into one of the best classes I ever taught. The 2000 crew, but I've been thinking about 1999: the poetry coffee houses we began, the basketball games, the DC trip, and getting my teaching legs (even with a student teacher, Kip). It was my 2nd year teaching and U of L gave me a student teacher.

I remember I met the Danes (the teachers and students) and vowed to take a crew to Roskilde (but that was between 1998 and 1999). The length of my hair is confusing, because I grew it out twice, cutting it twice, and I remember that I still hung out with friends from Indiana, but I was moving on...heading to spend more time with the teaching crew I worked with and severing ties with my drinking buddies (who actually took me to Coyotes to line dance - that was never my scene. Oh, Kentuckiana). 

Actually, I this is the class of 2000, so I'm guessing this is the 2nd half of my 27th year...the first semester. I'm not sure why it's black and white, and all these puppies are now in their 40s. I'm in the middle and look like one of the kids. 

When I left Brown, I boxed two shoe boxes with memories and left it at that. I don't go into it much unless someone reaches out and I am trying to remember. 1998-2007 blur, with the years becoming a blur. So much life occurred in those years and all the kids remain my heartbeat. My admiration for them grows even stronger as they've aged and continued to their share their life stories. And I'm laughing...the girl on the far right, Brandy, was one of the first Melinda and Bill Gates Scholars and I remember her receiving so much money from them that she bought a car. I was so proud to send in that nonination and to learn she received it. I love that kid, as I loved them all.

Zip Zap Zoom.

That's the snapshot of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment