Thursday, March 2, 2023

Oh, a Fantastic Day @PequotLibrary in Southport with their ABC Children's Literature Exhibit, and YES! Cocoa the Bunny was the Hit of the Day

There are times when I just love the way things work out in this teaching career. One of them was the rotating squads we had at Pequot Library yesterday, with some poetry writing for ESL students at Central High School, some 1st grade drawings and writing for Kendall College and Career Academy, some rearranging of children's book shelves, and a tour of the incredible collection of the earliest primers in the United States on display for individuals to think about literacy during the beginning. 

When the children's librarian mentioned the library had a pet bunny, 3/4ths of the students ran to see the little dude (or is it dudette). I didn't realize bunnies were a thing, but apparently many kids miss their pet bunnies of yesteryear. I find it kind of bunny that Cocoa was their highlight of the day. 

I am overjoyed by the kindness, grace, expertise, and intellect of the Pequot Library staff and I am thrilled by all they offered my undergraduate students. 

I'm also happier than can be of my Community Engaged Learning Associate, Meghan. Phew. What a natural leader.

And seriously...these students rocked with their poetry. They only had 30 minutes and they knocked it out of the park. 20 original poems today, inspired by no other that the genius, Kwame Alexander. Thankful to Steve Bickmore and Shanetia Clark for offering me a space to celebrate this guy in their collection of influential African American writers in the 21st century. 

But today, I need rest. Well, I'm heading out to school of National Read Across America Day. It's March 2nd, and the invitations have come my way. I can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment