Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Making Sense of 6 Years of Feedback on Teaching, All While Getting Ready for Operations in a Digital Age, Digital Literacy Style

The Nor'Easterner was yucky, but it didn't stop me from heading to campus on spring break to write a book chapter and to pull out files from 2018-2019, before 2020 put us all at home. I scanned, I sorted, I tabled, and I graphed, all to count my luck that I've had a rather fortunate drawing from 10 years of Brown School teaching to make me the educator I am. The copier and I were intimately close yesterday as I put copied IDEA yellow forms in their appropriate files.

It is interesting to see the wide assortment of courses I've taught these last six year, always willing to step up for colleagues on sabbatical, to cover courses while new hires were being interviewed, and to take on courses with the largest enrollments so they had an introduction to careers in education. I event took multiple extra courses to cover courses that needed to be taught, but where we didn't have enough faculty to teach them (this doesn't count the independent studies offered so individuals could finish on time. 

And the rain kept falling. The winds kept howling. 

Spring breaks are a double-edged sword. On one hand we should be resting to get ready for the chaos still to come, on the other hand, we have full days without meetings to actually concentrate on the research part of our careers. 

I am very thankful that courses seem to resonate with the students I teach and to know that the groove and jibe with my, sometimes eccentric, teaching styles.

This all leads to the fact, however, that I'm very tired. So, so tired, but I learned how to go ram-horns down at Syracuse while doing my dissertation, and finishing this work during my first year at Fairfield University. 

But at night, I'm tired. I awake like today hoping the energy returns to go at it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment