Friday, March 31, 2023

I See the Warmer Months Coming Around the Corner, and As I Broke Yesterday's Fast, I Couldn't Help But Look Forward to All the Summer Meals to Come

As I write Abu and Lossine daily, "I'm hungry, but I'm hyper-focused and paying attention to what matters most...like a good meal, appreciation for what I have, and how to ignore all the noise and chaos around me."

I couldn't wait for last night's salad, and was even more eager to get protein from the Crandall special. I learned from Chitunga that although he arrived, his furniture and packed belongings have not. They are a week late and lost them, but the recovered them with the promise of a 4 pm delivery today. 

Focus on what's important. Move in the direction of a better world. Be good to one another. Watch Ted Lasso and the Mandalorian. All will be well. 

Yesterday, I worked on two applications to get Literature for Young Adults aligned with signature elements. The University moved to a core curriculum where courses for social justice and writing in the discipline are on the radar of students. I applied for both and will look into writing across the disciplines and interdisciplinary connections in the future. Applying for the two I did was an all-day endeavor. Fingers crossed it will go through.

Speaking of, after several months, much chaos, and too many cc'd emails for any one's lifetime, I believe the course now has my name, the right day, and the right time finally up on the course scheduler. For weeks, it's been a man in interior design assigned to the class. Believe it or not, after all the chaos of trying to fix it, the one woman who never responded, ignored all the cc's, and (apparently) is rarely on campus, emailed to say, "Oh, that's my problem. I'm sorry I did that." Ugh to the YouGottaBeKiddingMe. 

I've spent my entire life holding myself accountable to what I need to get done, to the people I work with, to the students who depend on me, and to the country that relies on efficiency and excellence. I will forever be amazed by the many who cannot be counted on, are rarely held accountable, and make everything complicated for those who are doing the work. 

This all makes me think more about leadership. Perhaps one day I will transition to a leadership role so that I can go through a system and clean out the knuckleheads, the abusers of time, the all talk and no action types, who simply put up road blocks. I've always said I'd be a lousy leader because I can't tolerate the silliness that people pull over on their employers. It's just wrong.

We need to be there for each other, in support of one another, and behind a vision we all believe in (which is another reason I am thinking about one day moving into leadership). I definitely have vision, and it's unlike the lacking ones that have been before me at times. 

We all can do better. Even with my salad. tonight, I might add cranberries, too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment