Thursday, March 23, 2023

Final Dinner with the Milford Support Team - Checked Out the Nautilus Again (And They are Definitely a Big Part of the Village)

Chitunga's doing his rounds of good-byes and last night was for the Milford Crew (Leo, Bev, Pam, and Oona). We went to the Nautilus for drinks and dinner, but mostly they spent the evening pouring love and appreciation onto the kid (who has my house set up in absolute office mode until he leaves....numbers, pads of paper, computers, and calculators everywhere). 

I survived the day of pulling crazy out of the hat, and I like to think it was more than moderately successful. Actually, it was very successful, and I was gifted with a follow-up, because I received a special invite from Disney and Kwame to attend the debut of The Crossover which will be appearing on Disney+ later in April. It was via a special ZOOM call where Kwame and the actors talked to us who were invited. Pretty cool and mad proud of his success and contributions to the world...

...I remember when...

Now time to read his memoir...Several years ago he was telling me stories over dinner and I said, "You know...we teachers need you to write your story. We'll read it." I guess he did.

This morning, I'm up and at a Board of Trustees breakfast early, then the dentist, then meetings, then a recording of The Write Time tonight. Dave & Kris will have Chitunga and I for dinner but I have to step out for the recording. 

And I'm thinking about the many nights Leo and I would sit by the fire, walk on the beach, or stop at one another's house talking adulthood - so many of these last ten years have been about helping me guide Chitunga in the right path (he already went through it with Nick and Kai). The wisdom was/is immeasurable and I'm thankful for it. 

As all were wishing luck for his new move, I felt the love in all directions...the love that it takes to help us all succeed. 

One more day...then Cleveland...Chicago...and DesMoines. 

This is his road to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment