Wednesday, March 22, 2023

And There Are Days When, Well, Crandall Reaches Into His Bag of Tricks and Simply Prays What He Pulls Out of His Hat Will Work

And then he receives a memo that the in-person, school visit with 20 students for 2.5 hours has to be cancelled today due to district-wide testing, so with little preparation, Crandall has to work with students on campus in a 2 and a half hour turbo. Today is a section swap, so he, well I, will be working with undergraduate students that I don't have much relation with. We're going full-out creative, professional development, interactive, and spur of the moment on this one. With only 30 minutes to prep, we will do what we can do.

This reminds me of the time I slipped into a Friday with rambunctious 6th period freshman when I thought we had an hour left of Romeo & Juliet, and it turned out all that was left was the credits. It was chaos, and I know that one's lack of planning doesn't constitute an emergency.

But, I've been planned. I'm always well planned. It's been in the books since January. All was set for today, until it wasn't. Superintendent curve balls brought onto teachers every where by test companies earning a profit to prove over and over again that the one indicator for results tends to ubiquitously be zip codes, yet the funding structures don't change.

So here we go. 

The topics at hand are teaching high school, English language learners, inquiry projects, some poetry, and keeping the energy alive. We have no choice but to make it happen. I have pretzels, gold fish, and bubbles. We'll figure something out.

And I have bags under my eyes...this is why they recommend resting on Spring Break and not editing a journal, writing a chapter, and organizing a dossier 14-hours a day. That was my mistake, but maybe it will pay off. Only time will tell...

...and at this time I need to get to campus. Wait. I just arrived. Took me 75 minutes because of a multi-car accident on I-95. 

I guess it's odd to be so used to the ebb and flow of how it all works. 


No comments:

Post a Comment