Saturday, March 4, 2023

And At 10:30 p.m. on a Friday Night, Karal Finally Says, "Okay. I Can Rest Now. I Have No More Excessive Energy to Give."

I always know when Karal is going to be intensely spastic. She gets what I call her ADHD lines on each cheek and they come whenever people visit...tonight, Michelle Farrell, and Dave, Kris, and Ishy Wooley. All the candy in the world to Ishy for being the primary caregiver to Karal when she's excessively excited about being alive. He has the same energy level, of course.

I gave up on the work and said, "I need a night off of the computer, so I made meatballs, gorgonzola sauce, pizza bread, and a walnut/goat cheese salad and broke bread with friends. 

It was blustery outside, the temperatures dropped, the laundry was done, and I made a mess of the kitchen, but I enjoyed the company and conversation away from the chaos of my work, which is great. And I think Kris and Dave do this with two seniors and a 4th grader. A meal on me is the least I can do. 

Today I want to grade all day and feel like I have some control of the insanity. I can pretend, can't I?

And I wish I could simply curl up with the dog on the couch and say, "I feel you. I'm doing nothing today." But that's impossible. 

I also look forward to the Spring when Karal can get a bath, not freeze to death when put outside, and where I can get rid of her doggie, winter stench. 

Here's to the weekend. I need this one more than most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment