Sunday, July 30, 2023

Welcoming Cooler Temperatures with Arms Wide Open. I Miss Kentucky, But Hate When Their Humidity Comes Our Way

The storm that came through was a wimp. It just rained with no thunder or lightening, but it did push some of the humidity to the side. I wish it would take all the humidity. I like to sleep with my windows wide open.

We celebrated Ishmael's 10th birthday with Dave's incredible cooking and good conversation. I have to be honest, though. I spent most of Saturday on my behind doing Workday(more) finance stuff and writing for projects I've fall behind on. It's insane to think that even in the summer my weekends get scooped up by work responsibilities, especially since I haven't had time off at Fairfield since I've been hired. There's something definitely wrong with the picture (and I'm simply keeping atop of the work I need to get done). There may be a day where someone will actually listen to me on all the layers of labor that goes into the program I run, the faculty I hire, the students I recruit, the books we use, the supplies we need, the courses I teach, and the scholarships I provide. As is, it's a one man show operating out of passion, but that is not the way it's supposed to be.

I'm thankful for the National Writing Project family, however, for keeping me sane and focused. They understand the work, do the work too, and offer me the support that is nonexistent through my university. What we have is because I don't sleep and do all I can to make it so we have it.

Okay, Sunday. Back to work, but with cooler temps. We got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment