Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Every House Deserves a Soft Blanket & If That Blanket Has Mushrooms on It, Even Better

I asked Lossine if Delaney liked the care package for their wedding after he sent videos of the kittens playing with the cat toys I also supplied. A minute later he responded, "Oh, yeah. She loves it." It really is the softest blanket I've ever felt...like lamb's ear but even softer....perfect for curling up on the couch, especially with CNY winters.

Yesterday was sort of a low-key 4th, with catching up reading/writing in the morning, a few huge rain storms, then a hot dog/salt potato fest at Leo & Bev's while playing Claim to Fame. Of course, another storm came and washed us inside, but it all disappeared just in time for fire-work assholes to be fire-work assholes. I'm all for celebrating independence, but I wish we might do something to resurrect the holiday with more meaning, purpose, intent, and truth. I was thinking about this as I drove to Bev & Leo's...how the red, white, and blue doesn't mean what it used to (and hasn't) since the previous president. I suppose I naively and optimistically thought the U.S. was way past its anti-democratic, racist, and discriminatory ways. Nope. Since 2016, the white-lash has been obvious....the Supreme Court following suit (after all, much of the eugenics movement got its start in the U.S. and I continue to wonder what the 4th of July is a to slave....I'm thinking about Reuben Crandall, the National Anthem, and Walter Scott King)...

star-strangled banter, I suppose. 

I want to believe in freedom, choice, diversity, equity, equality and the rights of all people. But then we have history from the last few years. I'm not a fan of the alternative's view of our holidays and what the flag means for them. I'm not pledging to ignorance, hatred, scandal, and insurrections against what this nation should real mean to itself and the rest of the world. 

And so it's Wednesday. I am sharing the wedding poem uniting two names. Back to work I go. 



No comments:

Post a Comment