Friday, July 28, 2023

Heat Advisory Shutting Down National Park Sites? No Problem! We Have Kristin Lessard & There's More than One Way to Leave a Sustainable Footprint on the Lives of Teachers

Yes, we were bummed that we couldn't travel to Wilton to tour Weir Farm National Historical Park, but Dr. Novack, Ranger Lessard, and I have been at this game for a while now...it's just that we've never brought it to a room on campus. We improvised. Books from Possible Futures in New Haven, Connecticut, overview of the park, lessons from Rich Novack, and a special guest appearance by Chelsea Leonard-Crowley and the work she did with Ann Burg's Flooded was simply remarkable.

How could it not be a success? Also added to the occasion? Layla's Falafel, which is becoming a summer institute tradition. I need to find the receipt, because I'm not supposed to use my CWP card to buy food, but our plans in Wilton faded, so I had to think on my feet (which happens to now smell like hummus). Alas, ordering for 17, getting it all right, and delivered to the right people was a bit more frantic than I anticipated. It was actually hellish. 

Today, there are no teachers so I returned back to Ubuntu Academy and the young people from all over the world. They are making incredible progress each and every day (as I knew they would). As Abu reminds every afternoon, "It's simply amazing to have these experiences each summer."

I know I am quite exhausted, however, with only one week left. I don't know if I'm coming or going, as it's non-stop answering of emails, making copies, teaching, calling, responding to texts, welcoming guests, distributing books, feeding participants, arranging rooms, and making sure the day to day grind succeed.

And it does. Want to know why? We've built a community, and all the members understand the power of us all together. We grove and move with it, because it inspires us to be better people.

Here's to Rich and Kristin. Always a great day when they're around!

No comments:

Post a Comment