Saturday, July 22, 2023

A Visit from Michael Turner in Connecticut is such Wonderful Therapy and Healing. Love this Kid. Always Have. Always Will.

I met Michael Turner in 2005 when he was a junior, but also had some interaction with him through a graphic novel club we started. In his junior year, during a poetry unit, he busted out of his shell with outrageously good spoken word poetry and by his senior year, we were on the path of unravel his artistry in all the renaissance fashions that made him who he was. He does not fit into any containers. He was a creative wingman in 2007 and I used him and his classmates as fuel for my soul to get me through my doctorate. 

Fast forward...I have one reunion dinner with him in Louisville at Vietnam Kitchen and then this morning I get a call from him saying he's almost to Stratford, "want to meet up?" He drove 19 hours to see his girlfriend who is here from Dominican Republic. By the time I got home he was on my front steps. I was like, "Who grayed his hair and beard?" He's still the magnificent, brilliant, of the Gods, free-thinker he always was. There's no taming him, and even with a son and daughter now, I see he keeps hims wits in the skies.

I'm looking forward to hearing his music work of late and to hopefully have him return to CT in the near future. 

Week two is officially complete for CWP-Fairfield's summer work and we have a couple more weeks to go. Meeting with Michal & Aidas, who flew in from Lithuania, was also amazing. 

Ah, aging is tricky...reunions are beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment