Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Throwing in a Bonus for @CwpFairfield's Programs Because a Special Guy Visited from Zambia with His Wife. Almost 10 Years Later Look Who Came By

To be honest, I still think of Libuya as being on Fairfield University's campus, as he was central to my first four years of working there. It was a different space then: caring, family-oriented, connected, and true to the Jesuit mission. That's why being introduced to him after he took a course with Sonya Huber was so special. Actually, we knew each other already, but Sonya sealed the deal for him when he was working on his own story as a young man from Africa.

He also had incredible mentorship from an American family who, shall we say, lived a rather unusual American life - the kind with houses all over the world and a guest house (with 5 bedrooms) for Libuya when campus wasn't in session. I remember when I first took him to Bridgeport Public Schools to do work with young people and he asked me, "Tell me, Bryan. What country have you brought me to?"

It was still the United States. But that's Connecticut. One can easily have a VARIED view of reality if raised in the Nutmeg State.

I've kept up with Libuya, as he graduated from campus while Chitunga was in his senior year. Actually, Chitunga graduated high school soon after. I knew he married...I will botch this...Choolie...and they are traveling the U.S. now four years later in celebration (they, too, have been held behind by the Covid months). 

I honestly can't believe it was almost ten years ago when he graduated, but he finished in 2014 and I was experimenting with new ways to sustain CWP in the summer. After he left, our programs took off and it worked. The two of them are heading down to Miami for two weeks, but will return here before they go, so I'm hoping to have them over for dinner. Choolie is a teacher and I want to be sure she's loaded up with books to bring home with her. 

Definitely countered a traditional Monday. What a GREAT surprise. 

I'm feeling very, very old, as both Chitunga and Libuya are living extremely successful lives now. Who'd of thought that so many years ago. Blink of an eye, I tell you. Blink of an eye.

Okay, Tuesday...what are you going to bring my way? Whatcha got to top yesterday?

No comments:

Post a Comment