Saturday, February 11, 2023

This is My Favorite Photo from the MLK Youth Leadership Academy @FairfieldU, Honoring Dr. King through the Inspiration of @TorreyMaldonado

The FORCE. Published Writer to
Writer in the Making
Several years ago at a Penguin Random House event at the National Council of Teachers of English, I was introduced to a writer, Torrey Maldonado, and I immediately was intrigued by his work. The energy he brought to a room was immeasurable and his quick wit, hip-hop brilliance, and humor made me realize I needed to know more. I read his books, did workshops with them in schools, and then slowly gained a fan-based friendship.

Fast forward. I learned he was also a teacher in Brooklyn (Brooooookkkkkklllyyyynnnnn). I knew he was a writer that teachers needed to know as his books resonate with readers, K-12, and allow teachers to have soul-to-soul, heart-to-heart, and mind-to-mind connections. The kids love it. The educators see the values of his work with their students. It was a no-brainer to invite him to The Write Time. That recording remains a favorite of NWP audiences.

Teachers as writers. Writers who teach. 

I also knew that Hands was coming out this year, January, and after reading an advance copy, that I wanted to feature the book at the 2023 MLK Youth Leadership Academy. This was the 10th time I've hosted this event, and I can't do it without channeling Dr. Yohuru Williams, who remains the giant whose shoulders I stand upon. I watched him for two years and then I knew exactly what to do. I also brought the Writing Our Lives tradition of Dr. Marcelle Haddix at Syracuse University. The rest has been history. 

I purchased 150 copies of Hands and gave teachers and youth copies for our celebration. Anyone who has been to one of my Writing Our Lives workshops knows that I often do a hand activity. Trace the hands. Think about your hands. Brainstorm 10 ideas (one for each finger)...Brainstorm 10 more....read models, then set kids to work. It works every time. 

This year, however, Torrey Maldonado offered to ZOOM-surpise the kids and to read an excerpt of Hands.

They were mesmerized. They were hooked. They were over the moon. One girl wanted to know, "How do you know how to do this? to write for kids like us?"

He simply said, "I was you. I now teach you. I get it." 

Another young man wanted to know why he'd choose kids like him as an audience for the work. I captured this photo...the young man's hand, Torrey's hand, and I thought, "This is the force."

The force, it is.

I couldn't be more proud of the teachers, the young people, the individuals who made the event possible, and the writer/teacher, Torrey Maldonado, for giving so much joy, focus, and integrity. 

Later, my interim Dean texted me to say she's never seen anything like that. "You're in your element, Crandall," she said.

Truth is, it's our element. When young people have adults who believe in them, who get them, who write with and for them, and more importantly, who listen to them, there's no Stormtrooper, Sith Lord, or Clone that can stop them from fighting their inner strength.

As the author said, "Miles Morales is in them all. They just need to tap their Spidey-senses"

Yesterday was a beautiful day and I am thankful. The young people...all 120 of them...were dazzled and inspired. This is what it is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment