Saturday, February 25, 2023

Last Night, I Was Reminded Why Working 14-Hour Days Are Most Important. It's So Karal Has Free Rein of a House to Sleep. It's Always on My Lap

Poor Karal had a rough Friday. After we got up, I went to campus to work all day, and returned to walk her, only to go to dinner with Kathy Silver and to leave her alone again. It's no wonder she feels the need to crowd my space when I finally settle down to call it a day. She needs my warmth to counter the winter-cold and to sleep on me, no matter the position. It's precious and also overcrowding for this man who has chosen a rather solitary life. 

It doesn't matter what I do beyond this house, as long as she has my lap to lay upon when I'm in the house. I've never had a dog attach to me so much.

I got my falafel that I've been craving (thanks, Kathy) and we problem-solved the insanity of another work week. Well, we broke a meal together.

I need today, cold and all, to hunker down in grading in planning land, as I'll be losing most of Sunday to CWP-Fairfield word. For this reason, I welcome the puppy love to set forward the weekend.

Turbulence is in the air nationally (as it usually is) and I once again recall Phillip Roth's The Plot Against America. I think it is because last week's genealogy work that I'm hyper sensitive with how hate is fueled to ignite the ignorant. I used to teach the Holocaust with disgust and frustration - how could that ever happen? Yet, I look around at the divisions today and I think, "Well, here, we are seeing exactly how it starts." 

And we can only wait to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment